2.05.2009

Too Much Coffee

Well, I drank two delicious cups of coffee at Bible Study tonight and now I feel like Twitchy the Squirrel. For a long time I tried to lie in bed very quietly so as not to disturb Jamey, who has to be up in just a few hours. I watched the green bars flicker on the baby monitor. I stared at the eerie orange light in the upstairs window across the street and tried to make up a story about it. I prayed for just about everyone I know, and made a mental checklist of everything I need to pack for our trip to Florida on Saturday.

I was so still and quiet that I woke Jamey up and that is why I am now upstairs blogging.

First, I would like to talk about Facebook. All I wanted to do there was catch up with the Biles family. They mentioned on their blog that most of their updates were on Facebook, and since a number of our other friends are also on that site, I figured I would give it a shot. But after tonight, I can safely say I will not be going there ever again. (At least not by myself.)

So here's what happened. After I found the Facebook site, this happy, blue screen popped up and asked me who I am. So I answered and the next thing I knew, I had an account open and all kinds of people were asking to be my friends. So I accepted them out of politeness, and then a bunch more faces popped up, and then I was supposed to ask them permission to be their friends, and it all started to feel like a 7th grade slumber party, and I couldn't even find the Biles so I left.

But now I am wondering if my account is still open. What happens if people I know see my name in there and ask to be my friend and I never respond? What kind of rude legacy have I accidentally created? I really think there should be warnings on Facebook so that technologically impaired people do not wreak havoc among their friends and acquaintances. Or at the very least, friendly chaperones could be available to walk us through the pitfalls and minefields. It is this kind of danger that kept me out of the computer labs in college. My trusty word processor was limited in function, but at least it never tried to ruin my friendships.

Still not tired...................spgonseohgsl;kdlalala..........let's see.........................

Well, I could talk about Elijah for a while. Rebekah just did an updated entry, and Christina wants to do her own when we get back from FL, so I will write about E. What a joy he is! He reminds me of my Granddad (Grammi's husband) in looks and temperament. I actually have a photo of Granddad at Elijah's age, and they could pass for brothers--delicate but manly features, a sensitive expression, and big, thoughtful eyes. From the moment Elijah was born, he appeared to be contemplating the larger questions of life. And he does! His queries often come after long silences, when I think he has been asleep or daydreaming. Sometimes I have to ask him questions in order to figure out his questions because he jumps into them as if I have been with him in his head.

Like his Granddad (an aeronautical engineer), Elijah enjoys figuring out how things work. He spent all last summer lying on his stomach in the dirt, studying bugs--how they move, what they eat, whether they bite small boys, etc. We have a motley collection of his specimens in a plastic box in the schoolroom, and he has spent so much time with them this winter, that pieces are beginning to go missing(!)

One of the traits I love most about Elijah is his strong sense of honor (also like Granddad). I can sense his pride in his position in our family. Sometimes he walks with a little strut, as if to say, "I am the oldest boy, protector of sisters, role model to small brothers, helper and defender of mankind!" (Sometimes it says more than it delivers, but he is still young...)

He loves doing a job well. He loves living up to expectations, and no one is harder on him when he fails than he is. Early on, Jamey and I realized that when he does wrong, we have to be careful in our discipline of him, because the weight of his own disappointment with himself seems to crush his spirit. Any correction needs to have an opportunity for redemption--a chance to do something right--close by. I can't wait to see what God will make of this sweet boy! Men of honor and good character are such a rare breed these days...

Now it is 2:49 AM. I think I will go stare at the orange glow in our neighbor's window for a while and see what happens. I might sleep. Or I might come up with a plot for the next great American novel. Either option sounds promising--

3 comments:

S.E. Painter said...

Hilarious! Your commentary about facebook was great. I searched for you and could not find you, so I don't know what happened to your account.

We are on facebook and enjoy the quickness of it, but I understand the 'friends' aspect. After I politely accepted some friends that I wish that I had not, I started ignoring requests.

The nice thing is that they don't get a response back that you ignored them, they just never get to be your friend. However, considering that I doubt that I will ever see these people face to face, I'm okay with that aspect.

I tried to call you to write all of this, but you didn't answer and I hung up when your answering machine picked up, but I forgot you don't have caller id.

Bob Birmingham said...

Sandra, I always enjoy reading your thoughts, and your updates on my nieces and nephews. Good stuff!

As an aside, Facebook isn't all that scary, once you get a litte experience with it, but it is VERY addictive. I love it, especially reconnecting with friends (and family) that I've had little to no contact in years, even decades, but as always, to each his/her own. :)

Bob Birmingham said...

"little experience", not "litte" :)