4.11.2013

The Wearing of the Green


I have been thinking about blind spots.  (Mainly yours because, by definition, I am having trouble seeing my own.)

And, frankly, your blind spots sometimes make it hard for me to be nice to you.

And I wonder, as I am forcing myself to overlook your blind spot, "Why doesn't God point that out to him?  It's not necessarily a sin, but it sure is irritating."

Everyone else can see it hanging there, like a giant piece of metaphysical spinach stuck in your spirit. 

I am loving you through it because I know I must, but really how can you not feel that?  Would it kill you to look in a spiritual mirror once in a while?

Most aggravating is that you are not even aware of what I am having to overcome in order to be loving and nice to you.  Surely this much effort ought to be recognized in some manner!  But no!  I think you think this is easy for me, which irritates me even more.

I just want to take you by the chin and speak the hard truth, "You aren't all that easy to love right now!"

Which is how I KNOW that I'm not lovable either.  You are probably having the same internal dialogue over my blind spots as you try to love and serve me.

Or maybe you're not.

And if you're not, it isn't because I have fewer blind spots, quirks, and irritating tendencies, but because you have "put on Christ" and you are seeing me with His eyes, serving me with His hands, and loving me with His heart in spite of my inner troll.

And I should be doing the same for you.

I think Christ allows some blind spots to remain in all of us--not that he overlooks sin, but rather he does not overwhelm us with the realization of all the darkness in us all at once.  

Sanctification comes new every day, in small, patient revelations of the Spirit.  Differences in personality are divinely ordained.  The combination of those two realities equals a world full of people who are pretty difficult to love!

That's where the power of Christ takes over!  John Piper wrote an article which started me thinking about sacrificial love (again).  

In it he writes, "To be a disciple is not just to be outwardly aligned with a Christian church or a Christian movement or a Christian name, but miraculously changed by the Spirit into a person with a new heart of love for the Father and for Jesus and for his followers."

I love the instructions in 2 Peter 1:5-9.  Do you want the building blocks of godly love?  

Here they are!

 "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;  and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;  and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.   For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."

Well, then!  That ought to keep me occupied for the next...150 years.  

I'll be so busy that I won't even have time to keep a mental list of all the ways you could improve yourself.  And if I do, I will try to remember that it is my "nearsighted blindness" talking, and that the cure is prayer (for you and me both) and a renewed focus on my own sanctification (see above list).

During Lent, our children acted out the story of "The Ungrateful Debtor" (Matthew 18:21-35).  I encourage you to do that as a family because it is SO POWERFUL.

We are covered by so great a grace!  How can we not let it flow from us, even when we are faced with real offences, rough edges, unfairness, ingratitude, snobbery, judgementalism, misunderstandings, crabbiness, and rampant thoughtlessness 

Is there any degree of hurt, rejection, or rudeness you can offer me that can compare to the multitudinous wrongs I have committed against God?  

Any amount of forbearance and forgiveness I can give that compares to the pardon granted me through the blood of Jesus Christ?

We are a world of sinners, flashing spinach filled smiles at each other--blissfully oblivious to our own green teeth .  

Now, if I can just remember that long enough to overcome my urge to hand you a mirror...

*Sigh*  

Same blog post, same struggle, different day.   

Thank you, Lord for unrelenting reminders of my need for your grace and strength!

*********************
 And for when I forget...

Proverbs 19:11 A person's wisdom yields patience; it is to one's glory to overlook an offense.
Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
Matthew 18:33 Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?'
1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
2 Corinthians 2:7 Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.
2 Corinthians 2:10 Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven--if there was anything to forgive--I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake,
Ephesians 5:1 Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.