5.25.2013

Why!?

I am sometimes overwhelmed with the unequal distribution of pain and suffering in this world.  The longer I live the more staggering the inequity seems.  I think I am beginning to get a sense of the heart of the writer of the many psalms that express dismay at the apparent prosperity of the wicked, in light of the ongoing suffering and pain of those who attempt to follow God's will. 

As I consider yet another awful story of loss today, particularly within the context of what I know this dear family has already suffered over the past few years, I want to scream out... IT IS NOT FAIR!!

It seems as if there are times when God simply turns a blind eye to what is going on in the lives of his people.  Like they need to work out their struggles on their own. 

I think of the time that Jesus asked if the disciples wanted to leave after he finished delivering a particularly difficult teaching: 


"You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.  Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." John 6:67,68

I truly do believe this.  Despite the difficulty and the lingering questions and doubts, that there is no other answer for pain in this world.  

However, it is more than that alone.  I believe that God has good in store for those who are willing to let go of their hold on this life and trust in him (Romans 8:28).  Sometimes this needs to be acknowledged and believed despite all the apparent evidence to the contrary. 

However, it is not just as if turning to God is the last resort out of a host of unhappy options, it is truly what is for our good and ultimate glory.  Not only does God have our ultimate good in mind as we make our way through this life, but God entered into our suffering as well.  

Indeed, he has taken on incredible loss on our behalf simply in the act of coming to this earth as a man (Philippians 2).  He followed that amazing sacrifice and proceeded to die a miserable, criminal's death on the cross for our sins, in so doing experiencing something we could never conceptualize... 

...God the father breaking fellowship with the son and forsaking him on that cross.  

It is in this context that I feel I must view the pains of this life and the plans that God has for us.  He is so above us and so beyond our comprehension, that I am convinced he can not be fully understood by our finite minds.  

We most certainly do not know why God permits each individual tragedy to occur in the lives of people, especially the lives of those who seem to want to follow him, at the same time letting those who seem to flaunt his commands dodge proverbial bullet after bullet.  

There are some possible explanations that we can at least speculate on.  Perhaps God takes a life young to spare them further pain.  
 
"The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil."  Isaiah 57:1 

Maybe God lets the wicked live on, because he hopes that they will come to salvation. 

"This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."  1 Timothy 2:3,4 

Or perhaps, he lets them live on to add to their condemnation.  

"You are storing up wrath for yourself because of your stubbornness and your heart that refuses to change. God's just judgment will be revealed on the day of wrath. God will repay everyone based on their works." Romans 2: 5, 6 

I do not pretend to know why God acts, or does not act, in different circumstances, but I do know this, that God has more love for his people than I do and is not random or capricious in his choices.  

This is the true hope and confidence I have. Not simply that there is no other place to turn.  It is this reason that even in the midst of unspeakable tragedy, I can still bless God and praise him in humble gratitude. 

---Jamey

***********************

Yet I am always with you;
    you hold me by my right hand.

You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will take me into glory.

Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.
 
Those who are far from you will perish;
    you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. 

 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
    I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
    I will tell of all your deeds.
  
Psalm 73:23-28
 

No comments: